history of date nut pinwheel cookies - Piano Notes & Tutorial

Hope you give it a try over there in Thailand. Thanks for sharing the instructions and helpful pictures. Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt together in a small mixing bowl. 3/4 pound pitted dates, chopped; 1/3 cup granulated sugar; 1/3 cup water; 1 cup packed brown sugar; 1/4 cup shortening; 1/4 cup butter, softened; 1 egg; 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract; 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour ; 1/4 teaspoon salt; Cook dates, granulated sugar and water in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Thanks! Merry Christmas to you and your family Peggy. They look like cinnamon rolls. We have most of them frozen and haul out a few at a time. These delicious date pinwheel cookies are made with butter and brown sugar, along with the wonderful date and pecan filling. JSParker from Detroit, Michigan on June 04, 2012: What first gives this hub such charm is that handwritten recipe by your Grandmother! Wishing you and your husband a lovely lovey Christmas and a most blessed 2019. Date Nut Pinwheel Cookies. Voting up and shared! 1 cup packed brown sugar. Everything I love in cookies. KCinAZ . :). Hoping all is good with you and yours....I think of you often and intend to send an email but...you know how it is...time slips away. Place dates into small saucepan and add 1/4 cup sugar, dash of salt, and 1 1/4 cups of water. Spread date mixture evenly over dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Chocolate chip cookies … Thanks for your comment. In some cases, the paper scraps are crumbling, and amounts can no longer be determined. Dorie says: Growing up in New York City, I remember date-nut bread, date pudding, date-nut cake and cookies with a filling that might have been the date version of Fig Newtons. I love sentimental people like yourself. https://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/shirleys-date-nut-pinwheels---christmas-2734 5 comments. - Share and voted up! 6 product reviews This old-fashioned cookie harks back to Grandma's cookbook. Thanks for your comment, votes and the sharing of this with others. Roll into logs. I have a date cookie recipe I like but just may have to replace ti this year with this one. That is a nice thing to say. Peggy Woods (author) from Houston, Texas on December 18, 2018: Hi Patricia, I have only made a few batches of cookies this year and have so far given most of them away. Success! This is one of my mom's all time favorite Holiday Cookies. She didn't have the cookbook but was sure that there was a recipe. I am glad that you like the sound of this old-fashioned cookie recipe. Slice cookies 1/4-inch thick; place on lightly greased cookie sheet and bake for 12 minutes, or until evenly browned in a 350 ºF oven. Did you make any changes or notes? Appreciate your comment. Peggy Woods (author) from Houston, Texas on February 01, 2013: We cannot be good all of the time. 2 large eggs. Very rich in flavor. Chop pitted dates in food chopper. Cancel Submit. Add flour (sifted with salt and … Place 2 in. I love nuts and dates so this recipe really appeals to me. Thanks for adding your feedback. Peggy Woods (author) from Houston, Texas on December 18, 2018: I have only made a few batches of cookies this year and have so far given most of them away. Thanks for your visit and comment. They feature the classic combination of peanut butter and chocolate in an attractive swirl. Serves: 30 cookies. I am mailing these hand-written recipes to relatives who will hopefully cherish them for many years to come. A bit of vanilla is always a good flavor enhancement. Thanks for sharing. So glad to hear that you liked the sentimental touches of background information along with the actual recipe of this rolled cookie. The picture of your Mom is so cute in her what looks like her apron, wearing a shirt dress. but I can only imagine how wonderful these smell and taste. Yes...they would make excellent gifts for special occasions. Roll into logs. Refrigerate 30 minutes. So don't just judge them the first day you bake them. Really, you have a couple of these with a cup of coffee in the morning and you'll be satisfied. Peggy Woods (author) from Houston, Texas on April 24, 2013: I should have joined Pinterest a long time ago. Peggy Woods (author) from Houston, Texas on April 14, 2015: Some of those old timey recipes are hard to beat! https://thebakingpan.com/recipes/cookie/date-pinwheel-cookies They were always in our school lunch boxes. Looking forward to trying this recipe soon. Remove from freezer, slice with a sharp knife and bake. Beat together the shortening, brown sugar, and eggs until smooth. Recipe by Allrecipes. All the photos are wonderful, Peggy, showing every step of preparation. Most often made around the holidays, our pretty date pinwheels are made year round in our bakery. They do freeze well! Nice to know that you are also sentimental about your mother's cookbook and the old recipes. Beat together the shortening, brown sugar, and eggs until smooth. Date & Nut Pinwheel Cookies recipe by , is from Baba's Recipes, one of the cookbooks created at FamilyCookbookProject.com. Great hub, photo and recipe. Nice recipe hub, Peg. Divide dough into 2 balls. Our Amish bakers have a knack for creating a not-too-heavy cookie and filling it with luscious and rich date/walnut filling. Our recipe makes a full batch of nearly 5-dozen delicious pinwheel cookies from scratch, using simple steps that are easier to follow than most recipes, although it does require a bit of patience. Heading on over to your hub now. This old fashioned cookie recipe makes a large batch of cookies depending upon how you roll them. Add the cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and flour to the mixture, and blend until well combined. baking soda. Your cookie will end up being a much larger cookie than if you start rolling it from the largest margin across. Thanks for the vote and share. When the dough is chilled, prepare the date/nut paste. These pinwheel cookies have a delightful old fashioned look that is totally cute but very tasty, too! I would definitely try this. Thanks for your comment. Think of you often. Here, I share some family faves. Trust us though, these pinwheel cookies are absolutely worth the wait! The pinwheel has a long history that spans the globe. Bring to a boil. ¼ cup melted chocolate. Cheryl J. from Houston, TX on June 04, 2012: These are wonderful cookies. Oct 11, 2016 - Pinwheel cookies with dates and walnuts are a family treasure. Cut roll into 1/4-inch-thick slices and place on lightly-greased or parchment-lined baking sheets. Have a great day. baking soda. For filling, place dates, water, and sugar in a large saucepan. Date Nut Pinwheel Cookies. Instructions for Making the Rolled Date Cookies. These doubly delightful pinwheel cookies are very easy to prepare. : ) I love your opening paragraph, the photo of your grandmother's original recipe and the idea of preserving your heritage. So, let’s get to work on my momma’s Date Pinwheel Cookies. I wish that I could share a couple of these delicious cookies with you right now! My husband finished his lunch today with a couple of them as a sweet treat. Peggy Woods (author) from Houston, Texas on August 31, 2015: Thanks for the visit. Ingredients: 1 cup butter, softened. Peggy Woods (author) from Houston, Texas on September 10, 2012: These old fashioned rolled cookies are indeed delicious. I guarantee you will remember the taste forever! Rolled date nut cookies being cooled on wire rack. Filling: 2 packages (8 ounces each) pitted dates. ½ cup sugar. TANJIM ARAFAT SAJIB from Bangladesh on February 12, 2016: Good news for the cookie and sweet lovers. 4 cups all-purpose flour. What beautiful cookies! Ingredients You need 12 Ingredients 1½ cup of chopped pitted dates. I agree. Another set of great dishes for them. This endevaor has become a personal journey of discovery and remembrance. I plan to make these for a special event. When it’s baked correctly, the cookie has a wonderful mouth-watering rich caramelized outer cookie with an inside date filling that's lusciously sweet and nutty. Hope you give this pinwheel cookie a try. Combine dates, sugar, water and nuts in medium saucepan. I see that you also enjoy your family recipes in the same way. And then the photo of your mother. Baked Christmas Breakfast Pinwheel. I can see these cookies being a great gift for special occasions too. Vespa Woolf from Peru, South America on June 04, 2012: I love old-fashioned recipes! Bake in 375 oven for 10-12 minutes. justmesuzanne from Texas on May 05, 2013: Well, those just look fabulous! I hope that you enjoy these cookies of hers. Nice that you will be trying these old fashioned cookies dating back to my grandmother's time. Thanks for the comment on my Mother's appearance as well as the rolled cookie recipe. They freeze well. —Frieda Whiteley, Lisbon, Connecticut These rolled cookies with the dates and nuts are truly crowd pleasers. Good appetite! https://americanheritagecooking.com/2015/12/old-fashioned-date-pinwheels A family recipe as far as I know, and my father's very favorite cookie by far. Thanks for the first comment. 1 c. white sugar; 1 c. brown sugar; 1 c. butter, softened; 3 eggs, beaten; 4 c. flour; 1 tsp. Wayback Wednesday: Can You Identify the School Principals? Prep time does not include chilling dough. ½ tsp. I got to see the cute photo of my mother in her kitchen back in the 1960's because of it as well as think of these delicious cookies again. I feel like tasting your cup of coffee with the cookies. Thanks again for sharing your Grandmother's delicious cookie recipe. It is the only time during the entire year that we have them and that of course is part of what makes them special. Voted up and sharing with followers and on Facebook. For years I have made Date Pinwheel Cookies that turn into hocky pucks several hours after they are baked. vanilla; Cream the softened butter and sugars together in a mixer until fluffy. And then, I come here and find THIS. Hugs! Get Fig Pinwheels Recipe from Food Network. Winston-Salem © 2020. I know it's early but I couldn't resist because I'm making it for a Christmas in July party if I can find the dates. Freeze overnight. TycoonSam from Washington, MI on September 17, 2012: Cookies look and sound delicious! While good...the next time I bake these cookies, I will use ground nuts as the recipe called for, because it will be easier to slice the cookies prior to baking if the nuts are smaller. 1 c. white sugar; 1 c. brown sugar; 1 c. butter, softened; 3 eggs, beaten; 4 c. flour; 1 tsp. I never liked them much as a kid. I am pleased that you are sharing your Grandmother's delicious cookie recipe. These date nut pinwheels are a family favorite that we have been making at the holidays for as long as I can remember. Date-Nut Pinwheel Cookies. :). This Date Nut Pinwheel cookie made the Cookie trays. ;) I'm looking forward to trying these out! Add the beaten eggs and mix in well. Thanks! It didn't occur to me that these hubs of yours serve a two-fold purpose. Thanks for your comment. This isn't an iced cookie or an overly sweet cookie, but it still has managed to win me over. Rate this recipe Your rating Rate this a 1: Couldn't eat it Rate this a 2: Didn't like it Rate this a 3: It was OK Rate this a 4: Liked it Rate this a 5: Loved it. ½ tsp baking soda . ps. Trust us though, these pinwheel cookies are absolutely worth the wait! :). Perhaps you can do some cookie baking together while you are visiting? Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm enough to roll. Thanks for the recipe! salt; 1 tsp. I'm almost ready to start baking now for the holidays, and when I make these cookies again, I will think of you! ¾ cup water. Make these ahead and freeze or serve warm out of the oven. :O) Hugs G-Ma. You can also place them in the freezer for about 1 hour. The first time I ever tried this cookie was at the home of the late Elizabeth Coblentz. baking soda; ½ tsp. 4.42 from 12 votes. These make fabulous holiday cookies. Unwrap and cut dough crosswise into 1/3-in. Meanwhile, make the filling by combine the dates, pecans, water and white sugar in a saucepan set … Start the day before you need the cookies, since two steps require several hours of refrigeration. 1 cup sugar. Enjoy! These date nut pinwheels are a family favorite that we have been making at the holidays for as long as I can remember. Roll out dough to 1/4" thick, and spread date mixture all over the top to the edge of the dough. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. There are a few steps when prepping, so I sometimes freeze the dough and bake later. Bake, in batches, at 325° for 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Cookies would then over brown … fruit oozing through the pinwheel on the bottom would burn. The way I made them amounted to slightly over 11 dozen cookies that were an inch to an inch and a half in size. Aug 13, 2017 - Buttery cookies with a pecan-cinnamon swirl filling are easy to make and a hit with kids of all ages. 4 cups all-purpose flour. That just makes this recipe so much more special because you shared it with us all. Place dates into small saucepan and add 1/4 cup sugar, dash of … —Frieda Whiteley, Lisbon, Connecticut Bring to boiling, … If your family likes sweet treats that have some nutritional value, the dates and nuts add some wholesome goodness to this old fashioned cookie recipe that dates back to my grandmother's time. Thanks for your votes and the share. These cookies are just like I used to help my grandmother make. Recipes from years gone by, to my way of thinking are the very best, and this one looks absolutely delicious. Our recipe makes a full batch of nearly 5-dozen delicious pinwheel cookies from scratch, using simple steps that are easier to follow than most recipes, although it does require a bit of patience. Date-Nut Pinwheel Cookies. 1 cup water. A cookie with such healthy ingredients should have "energy bar" somewhere in its title. Pinwheel cookies are an Amish favorite. Get one of our Date nut pinwheel cookies i recipe and prepare delicious and healthy treat for your family or friends. That’s why I thank the author for giving me a golden chance of fulfilling my appetite and finally I request you all try the dishes out mentioned in this post. Voted you up, useful, and awesome! Dates and Nuts are historically popular elements of Christmas cookies. Date Nut Pinwheel Cookies I . ¾ cup brown sugar. Also like the idea of slicing cookies off a roll instead of dropping them by spoonsful or using cookie cutteres. Returning them your way as well. These look so deeeeelishusss as my baby grandboy says. Hopefully you will enjoy my grandmother's rolled date cookie recipe as much as we do. Stir in water and 1/3 cup sugar. Try to make the edges of the rolled out dough come out even and squared. ½ tsp. Bake in 375 oven for 10-12 minutes. Filling: 2 packages (8 ounces each) pitted dates . A real crowd pleaser, I'm sure! Spread a third of the filling over each rectangle. They are so different from the usual cookies I make at Christmastime, and my family really likes them. I imagine her face, peeking at her own hand-written recipe and knowing that other people are going to use her recipe. salt 1 tsp. Date Pinwheel Cookies. Wayback Wednesday: Happy Thanksgiving Greetings! Thanks for your comment. Ha! I love how you included your grandmother's handwritten recipe. Cool slightly. cool for 1-2 minutes and gently transfer to cooling rack. I hope that you had a good time and that your new year ahead is filled with much happiness, good health, and the making of some great memories. This looks just about as good because cutting off slices looks like it would be pretty quick too. Christy Birmingham from British Columbia, Canada on June 19, 2012: Mmm yummy, you had me at "dates"! Peggy Woods (author) from Houston, Texas on July 28, 2013: This really is an old fashioned cookie that takes a bit of time with the preparation...but is oh so good! Thanks for this great recipe and the memories . How fortunate one would be to find these under their tree! Oyewole Folarin from Lagos on June 04, 2012: Nice recipe hub! Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until dates are tender and liquid is almost evaporated. Chitrangada Sharan from New Delhi, India on December 25, 2018: These pinwheel cookies look delicious and easy to make. Add brown sugar and beat well. What a great recipe. SweetiePie from Southern California, USA on October 16, 2015: I think this would be a fun recipe to try. I'm linking my hub "Living a Good Lifestyle from the Little that We Have" hub to this hub. I know that he will want me to make more. Trim store-bought pie dough into an 8-inch square. Chill overnight. Angels are headed your way ps. Hope you give them a try! They are wonderful while they are still warm, but inedible when cold. Regardless of which chilling method you use, it will much easier for you to slice the cookies later for baking. That picture of my mother was when housewives mostly wore dresses and aprons when in the kitchen. If you like dates and nuts you are sure to like these cookies! Peggy Woods (author) from Houston, Texas on August 07, 2013: Your guests should be pleased with these delicious cookies. Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes or until browned. Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt together in a small mixing bowl. Date Nut Pinwheel Cookies II Recipe. Filling: 2 packages (8 ounces each) pitted dates. In a large mixing bowl beat butter, brown sugar, and salt with an electric mixer on medium speed about 3 minutes or … 4 cups all-purpose flour. Most of them are jotted down on scraps of paper and are handwritten. I'm going to add your Pinwheel Cookies to my Cookies on Pinterest. Continue until all of the dough and date/nut paste is used up. Thanks! So, let’s get to work on my momma’s Date Pinwheel Cookies. salt; 1 tsp. :) Voted up and awesome! Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook 10 minutes and cool. Add the cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and flour to the mixture, and blend until well combined. Through the Lens: Who, What, When, Where? Thanks for the pin. In the meantime, thanks for your comment and votes. Thanks for the good wishes. How wonderful. Peggy Woods (author) from Houston, Texas on October 01, 2012: My husband actually thinks they get better after time. I DO come from a family of good cooks. Print Pin Rate. The recipe makes three rolls of dough, which can be frozen until ready to bake. Thanks for your vote and the share. I love that you included a photo of your mother and handwritten note from your grandma. Patricia Scott from North Central Florida on December 18, 2018: Hi Peggy....I have not made these yet this year but hope to before this season of yummy foods slips by. Jason Menayan from San Francisco on June 04, 2012: Wow, these look really yummy. Bake 10-12 minutes or until set. Have a wonderful day! Hope you and your family are able to enjoy this Christmas. Cup of coffee with cookies on my grandparent's china. Patricia Scott from North Central Florida on August 06, 2013: This looks like a cookie I need to add to my files for the holidays. They sure are good. Thomas Silvia from Massachusetts on September 12, 2012: Hi Peggy, my mom use to make these old fashioned rolled cookies for my brother and me all the time,just reading your hub i could almost smell them cooking. Part 1: The dough. Kristin Trapp from Illinois on June 03, 2012: Your grandmother's kitchen must have always smelled fabulous! Date Nut Pinwheel Cookies II. Place 1/2 of the date nut filling over each rolled out disk. 1 cup sugar. Chill the dough in refrigerator until well chilled. Seeing the pictures I’m unable to control water in my mouth. Roll out dough to 1/4" thick, and spread date mixture all over the top to the edge of the dough. They are both attractive and delicious. I love the photo of your mother in her kitchen. Hope you like them as much as we do! Thus baking this old fashioned heritage cookie brings back some fond memories of the good old days. In another bowl, whisk flour and baking soda; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Filling 1 1/2 cup of … Just follow directions and with a little practice, anyone can do it. I often make pan cookies just to save time. 1/2 cup sugar. Mar 22, 2018 - POPSUGAR delivers the biggest moments, the hottest trends, and the best tips in entertainment, fashion, beauty, fitness, and food and the ability to shop for it all in one place. Put the dates, granulated sugar, water, and ground nuts into a saucepan on top of the stove and bring to a boil. Movie Master from United Kingdom on June 05, 2012: Hi Peggy, another wonderful recipe for me to try, I love the picture of your grandma's handwritten recipe and the picture of your mother in the kitchen. These would be perfect for my cousin's upcoming bridal shower. Thanks for your comment. apart on greased baking sheets. Congratulations! ). I just happen to have some dates in the pantry so I've marked this to try. Patricia Scott from North Central Florida on January 31, 2013: I am trying to be goooood. Peggy Woods (author) from Houston, Texas on September 12, 2012: Lucky you and lucky me that we not only got to eat these delicious old fashioned cookies...but that we also have our family memories revolving around them. Chop pitted dates in food chopper. I was just worried about the copyright issues. This recipe makes rolled cookies with a date-filled center. Roll each portion between two sheets of waxed paper into a 12×10-in. Nov 11, 2019 - Buttery cookies with a pecan-cinnamon swirl filling are easy to make and a hit with kids of all ages. Thanks for commenting, voting and sharing this hub regarding the old fashioned rolled date nut cookies. by flatoutbread. Wayback Wednesday: Oh, My Aching Back; The Twist. Grandmother Rose baked these in the fall and winter months. Ingredients: 1 cup butter, softened. The recipe originates back to some saved recipes from her mother, my beloved grandma. These pinwheel cookies look delicious and easy to make. Peggy Woods (author) from Houston, Texas on January 26, 2020: So happy that reading this brought back memories of baking with your grandmother. Drop on over for a cup of coffee and some old fashioned cookies if you are ever in our area. Can't wait to try them! They are a favorite dessert, particularly at Christmas. The recipe makes three rolls of dough, which can be frozen until ready to bake. See more ideas about cookies, pinwheel cookies, gingerbread cookies. I have just bookmarked them and know they will be made very soon. Peggy Woods (author) from Houston, Texas on March 27, 2013: You are most welcome! (The hand-written recipe called for 12 to 15 minutes, but with our oven, I found that to be too much time. Ingredients. And the old recipe adds such a nice personal touch, as well as your Mom in the kitchen. Peggy Woods (author) from Houston, Texas on August 24, 2012: These rolled cookies with dates and nuts take a bit of prep work but the baking (when done) is fast and easy. They look delicious as well. I think this is my favorite today, though the apple tart looked very good. Good wishes are being sent your way as well. I have my Mother's old cookbook. The taste completes the picture! ;o) A bit of work, but differently delicious and makes a LOT! The directions are very clear, and I think these cookies would sell well in Thailand. Any help would be appreciated. These are SUPER delicious right out of the oven, but they also can be stored for several days in a airtight container. Reduce while stirring until the mixture turns into a thick paste. They will be even better a few days (or months, if frozen) later. Thanks for your comment. Chocolate pinwheel cookies are a fairly straightforward recipe to make, but they do require time to chill in the refrigerator for a minimum of 2-3 hours or overnight. The ones that are spattered the most were probably family favorites and attest to them being often handled and used as a reference when baking or cooking. Merry Christmas to you and your family Peggy. 97% Date Nut Pinwheel Cookies I Allrecipes.com This recipe makes rolled cookies with a date-filled center.... 45 Min; 24 Yield; Bookmark. Cut into slices 1/4" thick, and place on greased cookie sheet. Remove waxed paper. Date Nut Pinwheel Cookies. 100% Date-Nut Pinwheels Tasteofhome.com Pinwheel cookies with dates and walnuts are a family treasure. It has been enjoyed in our family for generations. Spread the date/nut mixture onto the dough and roll the dough jellyroll fashion, crimping the edges together. Add My Review. See the reader comments for some helpful suggestions. Pinwheel Cookies - 52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History When I saw this weeks topic of Sweets , the first thing that popped into my mind was Nabisco's Pinwheel Cookies . (tip: filling is sticky; bake on parchment lined cookie sheet. baking soda. Place dates in a saucepan. Date Pinwheel Cookies. Many thanks, Mary. Gathering ingredients for these rolled date nut cookies, Mixing the shortening, brown sugar and eggs. There are a few … Divide dough into three portions. From my family to yours...hope you enjoy this delicious old fashioned cookie at your cousin's upcoming bridal shower. I love those that taste better with time. Guess I'll be baking more in the near future. You're so lucky you can bake, peggy!! Many of them contain only the list of ingredients and assume the person making the recipe would know how to proceed. These are SUPER delicious right out of the oven, but they also can be stored for several days in a airtight container. I love pinwheel cookies. 1 cup sugar. :). Instead of focusing just on figs, or dates, I decided to use a combination of dates, figs and cranberries. Cream butter in a large mixing bowl; gradually add brown sugar, beating well. Beat in eggs. One of my favorite cookie recipes especially for holiday baking. I grew up watching my mother bake so there is no great mystery to it. :) :). All Rights Reserved. Peggy Woods (author) from Houston, Texas on March 26, 2013: These old fashioned cookies would be great having them with an accompaniment of coffee or tea. REVIEWS. LOL. https://whatscookingamerica.net/Cookie/DatePinwheelCookie.htm Add the beaten eggs and mix in well. Peggy Woods (author) from Houston, Texas on January 03, 2020: Most of my relatives are also gone now, but when I follow their recipes it makes me think of the times we shared. Pinwheel cookies are one of my favorite cookies as well. Will share. Mary Hyatt from Florida on December 13, 2014: Just wanted to come back to let you know: I made these cookies and they truly are wonderful. ½ cup chopped walnuts. :). Enjoy your visit with your sister. https://thebakingpan.com/recipes/cookie/date-pinwheel-cookies Remove from heat; stir in chopped walnuts. They are both attractive and delicious. Indeed they are awesome in taste! This is very beautiful. I used chopped nuts instead of ground nuts. These old fashioned cookies freeze well and seem to improve in flavor over time...as you know. Date Pinwheel Cookies. Peggy Woods (author) from Houston, Texas on September 17, 2012: We have many of these rolled cookies with dates and nuts frozen in our freezer. Peggy Woods (author) from Houston, Texas on June 04, 2012: Wish I could give you that cup of coffee and some of these date nut cookies. Rebecca Mealey from Northeastern Georgia, USA on June 04, 2012: these look like they are to die for! Orange date pinwheel cookies recipe. Peggy Woods (author) from Houston, Texas on May 06, 2013: Am sure that you would be pleased with these old fashioned rolled cookies should you have access to a larger oven someday. Wayback Wednesday: Candle Tea Memories – 1962. I think this is an exemplary recipe hub. Roll up jellyroll style. They freeze well and actually keep quite a long time in an airtight container at room temp - if they don't all disappear first. 1/2 cup chopped walnuts. Cool on cookie racks and store in a plastic container with lid, or a cookie tin. Dec 2, 2016 - Explore Patricia Hoffman's board "Date nut pinwheel cookies" on Pinterest. Thanks for your comment and the share. As I try out some of these recipes and share them online, it is with a nod to saving some of the rich heritage of these treats, as well as trying to preserve some of the flavors from the past. Thanks for your comment and the share to FB. ½ cup sugar. With my German heritage coming from my mother's side of the family, no meal was complete without some type of sweet treat to finish it off. For me, they are special for another reason. Stir in walnuts; cool completely. :). Thanks for your comment, votes and the share. Divide the dough into three or more parts and roll out onto a well-floured board to about a 1/4 inch thickness or a little less. Joyln. These "Date-Nut Cookies" were a tradition. He told me just today that they really do improve in flavor over time. This cookie gets even better with time! 1 cup water. They are definitely NOT low fat or low in sugar, but much of the sweetness comes from naturally sweet dates. Date pinwheel cookies are a holiday standard in our family. Oh well...live and learn! Cut roll into 1/4-inch-thick slices and place on lightly-greased or parchment-lined baking sheets. Recipes from the past are unique and utterly delicious. Pinned and shared. Wayback Wednesday: Singing the Baby to Sleep – 1960 Style. Peggy Woods (author) from Houston, Texas on June 22, 2012: The pattern may somewhat resemble cinnamon rolls but assuredly these are thinner and crispy cookies. on January 02, 2020: Your grandmother must be smiling from heaven. Wayback Wednesday: Can You Help Identify These Veterans? REVIEW THIS RECIPE. Date Pinwheel Cookies; Click to enlarge. Learn how to cook great Orange date pinwheel cookies . Are you really happy now that you're going to make a happy, lazy retired woman, BAKE? So they definitely have his stamp of approval! Thanks for the shares. Combine dates, sugar, and water in a medium saucepan; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, about 6 to 8 minutes or until mixture thickens. I can't do cookies because I have a very small oven (George Foreman toaster/rotisserie) so I would have to make about 6 cookies at a time, but if I ever get a bigger oven, I will definitely give these a go! Filled with sweet fruity filling and crunchy nuts, these cookies are so flavorful, soft and chewy. They kind of resemble cinnamon rolls but thinner. 1 cup packed brown sugar.

Unique Piece Jigsaw Puzzles, Most Common Fish In The Sea, Dynaudio Confidence 20, Cute Chef Clipart, Welcome Back To School Letter To Parents From Teacher 2020, Calystegia Sepium Origin, Pink Stork Tea, Sony Wf-1000xm3 Test, Music Note Emoji Copy & Paste,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *